SSH Agent Problem

Core Tunnel adds an environment file in .ssh causing problems with ssh agent in terminal.
Also itself fails to connect to hosts using the SSH Agent.

22:10:16 Connecting…

22:10:16 Connection interrupted: Core Helper abondoned the connection with unknown reason, please try again.

22:10:16 Abnormal Disconnect

22:10:16 Connection failed, retry after 3s…

Please install latest Core Helper from here:

That's a mistake, we should add above link in the log.

Ok thanks. I had the core helper installed but not updated. It needs to warn if using an older helper, or give more helpful logs to figure out why the connection is not working.
still installs the environment file in .ssh. Is there a way to avoid that?

It needs to warn if using an older helper, or give more helpful logs to figure out why the connection is not working.

We will make improvements in next release.

still installs the environment file in .ssh. Is there a way to avoid that?

What environment file?

agreed. this is pretty poor.

i have an entire office full of users who suddenly and inexplicably lost their ability to connect to production resources after updating the app. and it was much more challenging than it should have been to identify the cause for the failure.

this behavior powerfully disincentivizes installing updates. that's really bad.

also, i'm not altogether clear why the two apps must be bundled separately. a single installation package for multiple applications would resolve a lot of this confusion.

please, please, pleasepleaseplease improve this.

That's our mistake, forgot to add an version mismatch alert :frowning: I'm really sorry for this, we will certainly improve it in next update.

It's a long story, the earlier versions of Core Tunnel actually distributed outside of Mac App Store, you can find the discussion from this thread:

TL;DR, Apple rejects apps that access system resources, the functionality is restricted if we didn't introduce Core Helper. But since Core Helper access system resources (on behalf of Core Tunnel), it has no chance to land on Mac App Store (which is forbidden by Apple).

Distribute Core Helper outside of Mac App Store is a compromise that is acceptable to both Apple and users.

I remember those days fondly.

Could you distribute a more comprehensively packaged version outside of the Mac App Store for those users with functioning prefrontal cortexes who do not need to have their hands held by Apple?

I would happily pay you for an entirely new lifetime license if you did that.

Fucking Apple.

Manage another distribution channel would be a distraction, our primary task is focus on core functionality of the app.

Starting from next release, we will include informative logs and try improving Core Helper version checking gradually, to offset the impact of sandboxing policy forced by Apple.