New window shortcut opens new tab

Great product, but for a while now when I push the keyboard shortcut to open a new window I get a new tab, this is quite frustrating.

Hi Jonathan,

You can change the default tab behavior from Preferences… > Tabs:

Kindly Regards,

Yang

Sorry, I don't understand. None of these options seem to apply. When I push Cmd + n I get a new tab, not a new window. I do not know what one of these options applies to this ... I have tried changing a few options here but have seen no difference in behavior...

Sorry for misunderstood your problem, I thought that you faced this problem while opening a profile in list.

What shortcut hint in Shell > New Window > New Window with Profiles in your Mac? Here is my:

Press Command + N should open a new window, if not, there might be something went wrong. Could you please try click the menu item instead, and see it triggers a new window or a new tab?

Kindly Regards,

Yang

Sure, it all looks good to me ... however, it seems like I can not post media (the screenshots) as I am a new user on the forum.

... okay, it seems I can only post one image per post ...

Could you please try click the "New Window with Profiles" item instead, and see if it opens a new window or a new tab.

Kindly Regards,

Yang

That also opens a new tab, not a new window.

Though I could not reproduce this issue, it's very likely a bug of Core Shell, I'll look further into the code.

Kindly Regards,

Yang

1 Like

Okay, so I finally found the issue. It was a setting I tweaked in Mac OS, in Settings > General > Prefer tabs: always. Changing this to another setting restores the default behaviour. This also controls new tabs in the finder.

1 Like

Thank you very much for updating this thread :heart:

Yang