How to make Core Tunnel act like SSH Proxy

In our email, you mentioned that Core Tunnel could act like SSH Proxy, just without the traffic routing. I must admit that I can’t see how to do that.

Before getting your advice, let me sing the praises of SSH Proxy for my situation. I don’t actually use the traffic routing as to use it in my situation would require dns resolution and then either regex or subnet matching. Where it is great is I can connect to multiple bastion hosts and use different port numbers. In my situation, establishing a connection require a OTP token, ssh key and password. SSH Proxy stores the password and key securely in keychain and SSH Proxy has the right understanding to prompt me for the token. Thus, I authenticate once, and now have a socks proxy on my local system. In my .ssh/config I then have hosts setup to ProxyCommand /usr/bin/nc -X 5 -x 127.0.0.1:3030 %h %p At least in this situation, I can set a default, and if that doesn’t work, I can just add -p 3031 for a different bastion. Thank you very much for that software.

Back to the question, is there a way to use core tunnel in a similar way to SSH Proxy?

SSH Proxy creates a SOCKS proxy for you, and in Core Tunnel we name it Dynamic Port Forwarding. So in Core Tunnel, just create a tunnel and make sure there is a Dynamic Port Forwarding item, set the port number same to the "Listening Port" in SSH Proxy.

Please refer to Dynamic Port Forwarding section in this article:

And if you have to work with ProxyCommand, there is a howto for it:

Moreover, Core Tunnel can read your ssh_config:

It's much powerful than SSH Proxy, except the lack of traffic routing.

I will give it a try and see. Thank you for your advice and software.

So, will traffic routing be added to Core Tunnel at some point? That would make sense to me. I love SSH Proxy and use it all day every day but consolidating products sounds like a win win.

Thanks
Mikael

No plan to add traffic routing to Core Tunnel for the moment :frowning: