Core Shell 3.6 -- Now nothing works (Abnormal Disconnect)

Hello Yang,

Core Shell updated to 3.6 and now I cannot connect to anything.

The banner says "Version outdated, please download and install the latest version of Core Helper from our website: Core Helper"

I do not have Core Helper enabled or installed (that I can find). I followed the Uninstall directions in the link, just to be sure. But, Core Shell has ceased to function.

The log is:

Equivalent Command: ssh -i "/Users/dave/Library/Group Containers/E78WKS7W4U.io.coressh.ssh/.ssh/privatekey/dave_xxxx_xxxx" -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes -o ServerAliveCountMax=3 -o ServerAliveInterval=15 -p 22 dave@xxxx.xxx.xxx

02:55:52 Connecting…

02:55:52 Using Embeded Helper 3.6 (r3382)

02:55:52 Version outdated, please download and install the latest version of Core Helper from our website: Core Helper

02:55:52 The OpenSSH process terminated unexpectedly.

02:55:52 Abnormal Disconnect

Sorry for this issue, will release a hot-fix version ASAP.

For now, please install Core Helper to avoid this problem.

Kindly Regards,

Yang

OK, thanks. However, with Helper installed it doesn't recognize existing server fingerprints. Hope that's not an upgrade side-affect, the known_hosts file is still there. Standing by for hot-fix.

I get the same error in 3.6 and I have Core Helper installed.

Do you enabled Core Helper? Can you send me a copy of the connection log?

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your help.

Yang

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Equivalent Command: ssh -o ServerAliveCountMax=3 -o ServerAliveInterval=15 -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes -p 22 cpopescu@10.211.55.8

07:53:13 Connecting…

07:53:13 Using Embeded Helper 3.6 (r3382)

07:53:13 Version outdated, please download and install the latest version of Core Helper from our website: Core Helper

07:53:13 The OpenSSH process terminated unexpectedly.

07:53:13 Abnormal Disconnect

It seemed Core Helper not enabled, please enable it in Preferences:

Yang

Yes, this worked! Thanks! I was thinking Core Helper was enabled...

1 Like

Ok, I see that with Core Helper installed, Shell starts using known_hosts in the home directory. Instead of in /Library/Group Containers/E78WKS7W4U.io.coressh.ssh/.ssh :unamused:

Core Shell/ Tunnel in line with your system ssh command after Core Helper installed, so that you can gain in consistency when you switch between Core Shell/ Tunnel and system ssh command.

That's also true of Setapp version of Core Shell.

But for App Store version of Core Shell/ Tunnel and without Core Helper, things slightly different. Apple requires all apps in App Store been sandboxed, we've explained it in this topic:

Which means by default Core Shell/ Tunnel do not have same privileges as system ssh, and have to read/write known_hosts inside its own sandbox container as per Sandbox policy requires.

Yang