Core Helper is using a lot of RAM

Hi everyone,

First of all, I searched for "RAM" and memory in all topics, and didn't see anything relevant, but sorry if I somehow missed it.

First of all to the devs — I love this product and would like to advocate its use to the rest of the devs where I work (At least 10 use ssh tunnels all day long at they're all on macOS). Just testing it out a bit before I at least expense a copy for me.

I've had it running for about 9 hours or so. I stepped away for the last 4 hours and when I came back I noticed that my machine was sluggish (it's a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with 16GB DD4 RAM and a Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB, so this usually doesn't happen). So I cracked open Activity Monitor and saw the main culprit was docker, but Core Helper was a close second:

Why is Core Helper using so much RAM? I imagine my tunnel config is relevant, so here it is — I copied this from the "Diagnostics > Equivalent Command" part of the config here:

Sorry — as a new user, apparently I'm limited to one image in this post :laughing:

the stuff in all caps below was edited by me to remove publicly accessible hostnames (my employer's production AWS stuff).

# First tunnel
ssh -A -i "/Users/USERNAME/Library/Group Containers/E78WKS7W4U.io.coressh.ssh/.ssh/privatekey/RSA_KEY" -J bastion -L 55672:10.1.1.5:15672 -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes -o ServerAliveCountMax=3 -o ServerAliveInterval=15 saral@ip-10-1-1-5.ec2.internal
# the "bastion" tunnel referenced above via the -J option
ssh -A -i "/Users/USERNAME/Library/Group Containers/E78WKS7W4U.io.coressh.ssh/.ssh/privatekey/ec2_caravan_rsa" -L 23306:RDS_CLUSTER_HOSTNAME.RDS_HOSTNAME:3306 -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes -o ServerAliveCountMax=3 -o ServerAliveInterval=15 saral@EC2_EXTERNAL_HOSTNAME.amazonaws.com

Does Core Helper really need to use that much RAM (even if it's GPU RAM)?
Are there any tweaks I can make in order to minimize usage?
I'm guessing I could just apply the eternal wisdom of "turn it off and on again", but I'm hoping there's another solution. Did I expose a memory leak?

Anyway sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Best
Sara

Hi Sara,

Thanks a lot for advocating Core Shell :smiley:

The process in your screenshot does not belong to Core Helper, apparently its name is Code Helper, not Core Helper.

Actually the process name of Core Helper is:

As you can see io.coressh.Helper consumes only 1.6M memory, it's a tiny helper tool.

Let's go back to Code Helper, I googled "Code Helper process memory" and found this:

I believe Code Helper belongs Visual Studio Code.

Please feel free to comment.

Kindly Regards,

Yang

In the Activity Monitor you can also see what application a process is related to if you click on the icon at the arrow and select Sample Process

mac11-2020-08-15_11-25-06_

The next window will make it clear where it belongs.

Thanks
Mikael