Copy and paste - interpolate tabs - feature request

As a user of Core Shell, given that I copy and paste a lot, I want pasted text to include tabs present in the text I copied so that my code is more manageable.

Perhaps there could be a setting for spaces per tabs preference (let this = t), then the app could substitute a tab for each t consecutive spaces encountered before pasting?

Core Shell always convert tabs to spaces at this moment, is it make sense if Core Shell keeps tabs unmodified on text copying? Most of text editor can convert tabs to spaces according to its tab with preference.

I guess having it switchable keeps everyone happy?

Thanks very much.

JG.

Jonathan Groves
Head of Product Development

Mobile: 0(+44)7970 468354

I still find this very annoying... I do not understand why translating all tabs to spaces is logical, or even helpful? It only happens when copying from the cursor to the clipboard - like this...
(Imagine the \t characters are tabs)

\t\tHello, world!

When this is highlighted with the cursor then copied, it is placed in the clipboard like this:
space space space space space space space spaceHello, world!

Why can the application not copy the tabs? Other applications do... If I copy a file which is indented using tabs using any other app I can then paste it with the tabs using Core Shell.

Please reconsider the policy of "always converting tabs to spaces"...

Kind regards, keep safe.

The pseudo terminal is not a text editor in all respects, the tab stop is not strictly 4 or 8 characters wide, it can be customized at will, \t\tHello, world! may not corresponds to space space space space space space space spaceHello, world!, it can also be space spaceHello, world!, or even space space spaceHello, world!

The corresponding control sequence for setting tab stop is:

ESC H
     Tab Set (HTS  is 0x88).

Use spaces can make the copied text always faithful to what you see it in Core Shell, that's the reason why we not simply use tab characters.

Yang

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I explained properly but don't worry.

Keep safe.

J